Saturday, 1 February 2014

Calorie shocker and a looming weigh in day...

To be clear, this was not the burger in question.....

So, I've been really good all week and stuck to my 1400 calories a day (mostly - as you will see).  Most days I've been a little under throughout the day so I've had some extra to play with when it comes to dinner or a snack (i.e. Ryvita with marmite) in the evening.  I've been using the Smart Recipes provided by the NHS as part of the Change 4 Life campaign - you can find them here.  Use the meal mixer to randomly choose a days worth of meals and then you can download the recipes for the day.  I've been using them mostly for dinners and they are quite substantial meals - certainly not how you would expect 'diet food' to be at all.  Plan the week out and only buy the things you need - it takes a little longer on a Sunday night to put the food order in but I certainly think it has made the week easier in terms of snacking.  If you don't buy it, you can't have it.

But I'll tell you more about the good things I've been eating tomorrow when I weight in!  I'm pretty nervous about it to be honest because if I haven't lost anything I'm probably going to be pretty demotivated but I know I need to just plough on no matter what, but it will certainly make it more difficult.  I've not found this week particularly difficult, mostly (I think) because the first week always seems to carry the most motivation - I'm not bored of being on a diet yet and I'm still shocked about what I found our about my weight (see Post 1: A Full Analysis of My Fat Ass).

However, I had a massive shock last night.  We went out for dinner at a pub, which turned out to be a Hungry Horse pub and I had a Smoky Bean Chili Beefburger with chips - I knew it would put me over my calories but guessed it would have been 700-800 calories all in.  It was a birthday party so not something that would happen every week and I had skipped on my bread roll and fruit at lunch to save up some calories.  When we got home I checked out the calories to add to my diary and found out it was a whopping 1194 calories!!!  I, honestly, could have cried - I hadn't been expecting that at all and I'm not even clear if it includes the chips.  Thinking about it, I could have made it at home for about a third of those calories AND without all of the other stuff like a high fat content and salt, which by that point I was too terrified to look at.  If you want to have a look at the Hungry Horse's nutritional information you can see it here.  But I would say that after a week of being strict that burger tasted AMAZING and it's done now so I'm not beating myself up over it - but live and learn, next time I'll know to have a look at the menu and nutritional information before I get somewhere so I can make a better decision.

Finally, I recommend watching a really interesting program - Horizon: Sugar vs Fat which at the moment you can find on the BBC iPlayer.  It's a really interesting look at what is really bad for you with some surprising results based on actual science rather than a fad diet book by an author you've never heard of with some random, made up qualification.  SPOILER ALERT one of the the people on the program ends up nearly being pre-diabetic after one month, and it might not be down to the reasons you would think.  

No comments:

Post a Comment