Reckon I should treat myself once I've lost a stone - halfway goal marker
Weigh in day today and I made sure I weighed myself before breakfast (well, I've got to give myself a chance haven't I). Having had that enormous burger on Friday night I was half expecting to have put a pound or to on, but fortunately excellent results - I've lost '3lbs in weight and lost three quarters of an inch from my waist! Woopee!!
That makes me 11st 13lb and 36 and a quarter inch waist, which in turns means my BMI is now 27.7 (down from 28.5). I'm really relieved I've made some progress this week as it was probably going to be make or break in terms of motivation. I was only hoping for 1-2lbs loss each week so I've exceeded my target for the week. I suppose it could be because it's the first week and my body hasn't had time to adjust to the reduced calories and increased exercise but only time will tell.
In other news, last night I posted my blog on Facebook expecting a couple of people to have a look - just enough so I feel guilty approaching the biscuit jar at work. What actually happened was 92 people looked at this blog in 4-5 hours, along with another 70 people today. So thanks everyone for your interest! But serious pressure now not to fail (which is a good thing by the way).
I've tried to be good this week with what I was eating (except for the aforementioned burger), but also tried not to change my habits too much. For example, I know I find it easier to eat well at work and I fall down in the evening when I get peckish. So, I've been having a decent breakfast (porridge and raisins), soup with a bread roll (no butter) for lunch, snack on fruit mid afternoon and a proper dinner - I've had potato salads, cottage pie, potato and onion hotpot, jacket potatoes with a LOAD of chicken filling... Honestly, it hasn't felt like diet food at all. I've been getting my ideas from the NHS Change 4 Life meal mixer, it's been really helpful. Also, I've found that I had some calories left over in the evening so I can snack on Ryvita with some marmite or cheese spread on.
I've been really surprised by the amount of sugar in food - I have been aiming for 30g of sugar a day, as advised on My Fitness Pal, but to be honest by time I've added 20g of sultanas to my porridge in the morning I'm already pretty much at my target. I haven't managed to stay under 30g any day this week. So I've decided not to worry about it, as long as I don't eat processed sugar. Most, if not all, of the sugar I'm eating is naturally occurring in fruits etc - I haven't been having coffee or tea to put sugar in, I'm not adding extra sugar to my cereal. I reckon that the natural sugars I'm consuming are the price to pay for all of the nutrients and fibre I'm getting from those sugary fruits and I can definitely live with that.
So, all in all, a good day - now to just keep it up for another week, though clearly with so many of your watching me I'm not going to have a choice (seriously, if you see me eyeing up those biscuits at work, beat me with a big stick...).
Now to decide what to reward myself with when I've lost my first stone - I reckon spa day!!

No comments:
Post a Comment