Sunday, 27 April 2014

Race For Life and Secret Eaters - calories in your glass of wine...

Definitely counts

It's been weeks, I'm sorry - I'm a terrible bloggist.  It's been a hectic few weeks and to be honest I've been avoiding writing anything in the last week or two because, to be honest, there hasn't been a great deal of progress.

Since my last post I've been up to 11st 9lb and down to 11st 5lb, and when I weighed myself this morning I was expecting to be at the top end of that scale - or worse, way over (or should I say 'weigh' over....).  I haven't been brave enough to measure my waist recently but I bit the bullet this morning.

I'm pleased to say I appear to have settled for 11st 6lb and a waist measurement of 32.5 inches.  This means since my last post I've lost 2lbs and an inch and a half.  I wish it hadn't taken me a month to do it though!  So my BMI is now 26.6 and I'm only an inch away from the 'healthy range' of waist measurements.

So, a running update.  Firstly, I've signed up to do the Race for Life in June (so you can all expect to be harassed for money quite soon...).  The Race for Life is a 5K walk/jog/run/dance and is around one month before my five mile JCB Mud Run, so my aim is to be able to jog the Race For Life as a practice for the Mud Run.  

I've been doing the NHS Couch to 5K program - or as the NHS likes to infuriatingly abbreviate it, the C25K - and so far I'm on week four.  This weeks its running for two blocks of three minutes and two blocks of five minutes with short breaks in between.  I know that for most of you that probably doesn't seem like a difficult thing to do but it's just about my limit at the moment.  Terrifyingly, at the end of next week I'm expected to run for twenty minutes.  Twenty.whole.minutes.  Without a break.  I'm not sure how I feel about that yet, but I'll give it a go.  Fortunately, the knee and hip pain I was moaning about last time has subsided, but my shins hurt pretty much all the time at the moment.  I have to keep reminding myself of the progress I'm making - in week one you do eight blocks of one minute and I was struggling with that three weeks ago.  Now I don't even notice the minute has gone by, it doesn't hurt and I've learnt to control my breathing while I'm running.

My next task is to invest is some decent running shoes (I've had mine a while) so if anyone has any recommendations I'd gladly hear them.  I've been looking into the 'Barefoot' running theory (i.e. with shoes that don't feel like you're wearing shoes) but I don't know if it would be any good for my ankle weakness - let me know if you've ever tried it!

Finally, I've been watching a lot of Secret Eaters recently.  If you've never watched it the basic premise is some overweight people are confused as to why they're putting weight on.  There are a lot of 'I eat healthily' and 'I cook all my own food fresh' claims and then when they have been put under surveillance for a week it turns out they eat takeaways, cover salads in high calorie dressings and drink loads of booze.  I mean loads.  One bloke, in one night, drank the equivalent calories of eating three donner kebabs.  So, here's my fun fact of the evening from Secret Eaters: clearly, the substance with the highest calories per pound is fat... but did you know that the substance with the second highest calories per pound is alcohol!  A 250ml glass of wine can contain around 228 calories - have a look at the Drink Aware page for more information.  It might be a liquid, but it most definitely counts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment